Try something different and let something go!

bc-curriculum-graphicOn October 26th, a group from our school spent the evening together with a sell-out audience at REC. Faye Brownlie facilitated our discussion around Learning by Design (see slides here).  We talked about UNDERSTANDING.  What does it really mean and what does it look like?  There were discussion on Universal Design for Learning, Backwards Design and diverse strategies.  It was great to catch a glimpse of the approach other teachers are taking to work with the redesigned curriculum and effectively plan (see slides).

The redesigned curriculum still feels a bit like a can of worms to me. I sometimes wonder how to give more than lip service to the 6 core competencies while managing changes to my curricular competencies & content.  Remembering that curriculum implementation is a process, not an event, helps me keep perspective.  At the end of our evening, Faye offered us some wise advice:

Try something different, but let go of something that may not have a big impact on learning.

I think I can manage this can of worms!